*Donations are fully tax-deductible
Friends of Ski Mountain Mining History is a committee of the Park City Museum who seek to stabilize and preserve the legacy of historic mining structures.
WHO WE ARE
We are local Park City residents, tourists and friends who cherish mountain skiing and the historic mine sites. Of the 70 mines which once operated in Park City, about half are within the boundaries of Park City Mountain Resort. Many of the mine sites are dilapidated and in immediate need of repair. It is important to us to preserve this rich mining legacy for future residents and visitors.
In partnership with:
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Donate: Contributions will help fund the stabilization and preservation of these historic mining structures.
- Attend: We will have fundraising events throughout the year.
- Share: Please tell your friends and family about this effort. We need everyone’s help to save our history.
Friends of Ski Mountain Mining History, through the Park City Museum, have committed to help Park City Mountain Resort raise the funds to stabilize and preserve the following seven priority projects located at Park City Mountain Resort.
1. Thaynes Mine – Hoist House
Thaynes Shaft complex was built in 1937 by Silver King Mine to explore for new ore and consisted of a boarding house (recently collapsed), change rooms, headframe, hoist, adjacent silos and conveyor for waste rock. When Treasure Mountain Resort opened they used the Spiro Tunnel, West End Tunnel and Thaynes Shaft as a Skier Subway from 1964-1969. The two silos at the shaft house were built to hold valuable ore, but none was ever found.
2. Thaynes Mine – Conveyor Gallery
This enormous dump is the result of a futile exploration by the Silver King Coalition into virgin ground. The conveyor took the overburden material from the shaft and deposited it here on the dump.
3. Jupiter Mine – Ore Bin
Valuable ore was loaded into horse-drawn wagons through the ore bin chutes. It was a wild ride downhill to a mill in town.This structure is all that remains of a mining complex that consisted of three tunnels into the West Face of Jupiter Bowl.
4. Silver King Mine – Head Frame Building
The Silver King Mine is a source of some of Park City’s best stories and greatest fortunes. Closed since 1953, the shaft where the hoist house stands was begun about 1890 and is 1,450‘ deep. Tom Kearns who arrived here penniless in 1883 was elected US Senator in 1900 and his home on South Temple Street is now the Governor’s Mansion. Susannah Egeria Bransford Emery Holmes Delitch Engalitchef, Utah’s Silver Queen’s money came from the Silver King Mine. David Keith came to the Ontario Mine to install the Cornish Pump and became President of this mine. John Judge, Jim Ivers and others made fortunes here. The mill down Woodside Gulch replaced the one that burned in 1921. The concentrator and bunkhouses were demolished long ago. It’s interesting to note that the boarding houses and bunkhouses were the home of the United States Ski Team when they first moved to Park City in l976.
5. King Con Mine – Ore Bin
The King Con’s Bogan Shaft at 1800’ deep sits adjacent to this large ore bin, which held ore awaiting shipment to the mill. The ore was first hauled by wagon or by the Crescent Tramway and later by the 2-mile overhead King Con Tramway. The ore bin is all that remains of the once very large mine at this location. Solon Spiro acquired this mine before he began building the tunnel that goes from Silver Star above the Municipal Golf Course to the California Comstock Mine in Thaynes Canyon over 3 miles long.
6. King Con Mine – Counter Weight
Overhead mine ore trams were the direct precursors of modern ski chairlift technology. This 4 compartment counterweight held boxes of heavy rocks that anchored the King Con Tram. Ore was shipped from the King Con ore bin on Claimjumper Run by the overhead tram to the mill in Bonanza Park. Remnants of the tram towers can be seen if you look on the hillside to the right when you ride up the Crescent Chairlift.
7. California-Comstock Mine
The California-Comstock mill has been deteriorating since 1917 when it was last remodeled. It could process 150 tons of ore/day and was operated by very few men. Solon Spiro’s Tunnel lies 1700’ underneath this. It is connected underground to the Thaynes Shaft via the West End Tunnel where skiers used to ride the Skier Subway to alight at Thaynes Lift in the early days of Treasure Mountain Resort.
Friends of Ski Mountain Mining History committee is co-chaired by:
- Sally Elliott, former Summit County Council member and historian
- Donald Roll, local business owner
- Sandra Morrison, Director of the Park City Museum
Other members include:
- Ron Butkovich, Board of Trustees – Park City Museum
- Kristin Kenney Williams, Vice President of Mountain Community Affairs – Vail Resorts, Inc.
- Marianne Cone, artist, former Executive Director of the Park City Historical Society