Museum Retail Manager
The Park City Museum, located in the heart of Main Street, Park City, Utah has an immediate opening for a full-time Museum Retail Manager with proven experience in retail operations, staff management, and superior customer service.
The Museum Retail Manager is responsible for our first impression experience for visitors, locals, members, and the community. Their responsibility includes management of the museum admission desk and the Museum Store. This includes, but is not limited to: day-to-day operations ; scheduling and supervision of all museum store assistants, store volunteers, and gallery guides; management of floor and ecommerce merchandising; product selection and procurement; admission ticket sales; in-store membership renewals and sales; museum introduction by Gallery Guide volunteers; knowledge of the permanent and traveling exhibits; welcoming, friendly, and informative conversations about the Museum and surrounding Park City community; and maintenance and monitoring of budgets, inventory, and sales. This position is accountable for the success of the Museum’s retail and ecommerce operations. The Museum Retail Manager must drive sales and profitability, and while maintaining an attractive and friendly environment for all guests. Position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To serve as a peer with all departmental staff.
- Foster the high-level communication and teamwork.
- Oversee the planning and operation of the Museum Store in an efficient and effective manner with attention to maximizing profitability while furthering the Museum’s mission
- Identify new ways to drive sales and achieve goals by making adjustments to the current product selection to appeal to a broader scope of customers.
- Monitor, plan, and manage product placement in Museum Store for best sales opportunities of available merchandise.
- Develop and produce five window displays throughout the year.
- Keep store clean and accessible to improve visitor experience.
- Understand the principles of visual merchandising and creating impactful displays.
- Develop product signage that reflects the mission.
- Coordinate with Executive Director regarding maintaining product inventory and supplies.
- Manage operational point of sale and back-end data systems. Trouble shoot IT and resolve issues with retail operational system tech support or IT support.
- Manage, monitor, and fulfill online store orders.
- Manage any phone orders for retail items and shipping to purchaser process.
- Ensure deliveries of merchandise are received, processed, priced, and coded accurately.
- Understand and reconcile vendor invoices (quantity shipped, damages, discounts, billing, back-ordered merchandise, discontinued product, etc.)
- Correct inventory discrepancies. Conduct one physical inventory prior to end of each fiscal year.
- Manage and coordinate inventory and share reports with Executive Director for monthly board meetings and annual audit.
- Develop warehousing plan to easily access for staff and merchandise accountability.
- Manage all responsibilities of the Front of House, Museum Store Assistants, and Gallery Guides to assure exceptional customer service in all interactions including:
- Conduct ticket and membership sales, and ticketed special events and programs.
- Handle incoming phone calls regarding the Museum and programs.
- Coordinate group tour ticketing.
- Bi-monthly time-keeping to track staff hours for payroll and volunteer hours.
- Lead the Store Assistant and Gallery Guide teams to achieve net income goals, sales goals, and all operating and customer service objectives. Develop training programs to train, motivate, and mentor staff.
- Schedule opening/closing, relief, and supplies needed by
- Recruit, interview, hire, and manage a team of part-time, volunteer and/or seasonal staff.
- Excellence in Customer Service
- Communicate with a variety of visitors with diverse abilities and backgrounds.
- Engage visitors and promote the institution’s mission and brand through positive onsite experiences. Research and resolve all customer service issues quickly and in a manner that enhances the reputation of the museum
- Motivate and lead all staff by example in setting the appropriate customer service tone
- Work with Museum staff to monitor and ensure our customer service, housekeeping, and appearance standards are consistently met
- Make guest-facing information accurate and consistently available.
- Help all guests, clients, vendors, and museum employees to understand and comply with museum guidelines and polices, in a manner that ensures an outstanding guest experience.
- Coordinate with other staff for Store Assistants and Gallery Guide responsibilities for museum-wide activities including temporary exhibitions, lectures and public programs, special events, and education programs.
- Collaborate with the Education Director in the ongoing recruitment of volunteers for placements as Gallery Guides and Museum Docents. Conduct orientations and trainings as needed on volunteer roles and responsibilities.
- Serve as the point of contact for all data requests from other museum departments regarding attendance, revenue, sales trends, and guest feedback.
- Participate in the annual budget planning and monthly projections process with the Executive Director.
- Attend all staff meetings and communicate concerns as well as potential solutions to problems. Coordinate with other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required; Retail, Business, or Museum Studies preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of service industry / retail management experience required, preferably in a museum; or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Extensive computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, and Word,) NCR Counterpoint, and PastPerfect.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with a passion to promote the Museum and Store.
- Excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Success in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to accuracy and detail.
- Ability to manage day-to-day activities while focusing on long-term events and planning.
- Team player maintaining positive relations across departments.
- Recognizes customer service concerns and addresses them professionally.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, problem-solve, and take initiative.
- Solid understanding of professional museum practices and procedures.
This is a full-time position required to work Wednesday through Sunday, including holidays, with Monday and Tuesday off. Candidate must be able to meet physical demands of job including walking, standing, bending, kneeling, and lifting and moving objects up to 40 lbs.
Benefits include paid vacation days, paid personal and sick leave, paid holiday days, and health insurance with optional Health Savings Account.
Salary commensurate based on education and experience combination.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to:
Andrew Cohen at email@example.com with “MUSEUM RETAIL MANAGER” in the subject line.