Full-Time Museum Assistant Position
The Park City Museum in Park City, Utah has an immediate opening for a full-time Museum Assistant. The successful candidate will work with all Museum departments to assist staff with education, collections and administrative initiatives. The Museum Assistant will ensure efficient day-to-day operations of the Museum, and will work under the supervision of the Director of Education and the Curator of Collections and Exhibits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist Director of Education with adult tours of Museum, school tours, and Main Street walking tours.
• Fill in as a Gallery Guide (providing an introduction of the Museum to visitors) as needed.
• Assist Director of Education with innovative adult programming that highlights Park City history and traveling exhibits, and engages new audiences.
• Assist Director of Education with developing and implementing family programming activities on select Saturdays.
• Assist Curator with cataloging and other collections tasks two days a week.
• Research and write one Way We Were article for the Park Record newspaper each month.
• Coordinate with staff to manage the Museum’s Facebook page, including responding to messages, monitoring comments and user posts, and actively engaging followers with updates about upcoming events, exhibits, and history.
• Coordinate with staff to provide publicity for events, exhibits and other activities via social media, newspapers, radio, website and e-mail.
• Compile contributing articles, make edits, communicate with designer and oversee printing and distribution of quarterly Museum newsletter.
• Support Executive Director with restocking Museum Store merchandise and supplies and other tasks as needed.
• Assist with administrative tasks such as directing phone and email inquiries to the appropriate staff members, updating museum hours, updating website, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Degree in Public History, Education, Museum Studies or a related field.
• Experience with museum education/interpretive programming.
• Experience working with children preferred.
• Some experience with cataloguing and collections work in a museum setting preferred.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently, problem-solve and take initiative.
• Must possess excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills. Must work effectively with diverse groups.
• Excellent communication skills, including writing, editing and speaking.
• Must be extremely well organized and detail-oriented with expert time-management skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff while staying focused and cognizant of deadlines.
• A high level of professionalism and excellent customer service.
• Solid understanding of professional museum practices and procedures.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and social media platforms.
• Working knowledge of Word Press and Past Perfect preferred.
This is a full-time position, Tuesday through Saturday with Sundays and Mondays off. Candidate will be required to close at 7 p.m. one night a week (Saturday). Benefits include paid vacation days, personal and sick leave and holidays, as well as health insurance. Salary around $40,000-$45,000 commensurate with experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please send resume, cover letter and three references to:
Diane Knispel, Director of Education at email@example.com with “MUSEUM ASSISTANT” in the subject line.
About the Park City Museum:
The Park City Museum is a history museum in Park City, Utah that serves a variety of visitors, including the local community and tourists. The Museum’s collection of objects, photographs and archives is remarkably diverse in type and size and offers valuable insight into the history of Park City. Programs offered by the Museum include school and youth groups, tours, lectures, family activities and special events.