The Hal Compton Research Library
Located on the lower level of the museum, the Hal Compton Research Library offers you a unique opportunity to search and discover. Whether your interest lies in your historic Park City home, the emergence of silver mining in Park City, the building of Park City’s first ski jump, or finding a distant relative, we can help you piece together the past from 1860 to the present day.
Research Library Materials and Resources
The Research Library’s materials include various Park City, Utah and western history books, personal papers and oratories, maps, thousands of photographs, and objects that appear exclusively in the library. Highlights of the Research Library include the photographs from local photographers Kendall Webb and Pop Jenks, and from Thomas F. Hansen’s rare and extensive collection. For a list of Research Library resources, please visit our Library Resources page.
Helpful hints when visiting the Research Library
- Access to the Research Library is free to all Museum visitors during Research Library hours.
- One computer is available for public use to search Museum collections.
- Laptops, pencils and pads of paper are allowed in the Research Library. Scanners are prohibited.
- Staff is available to help with visitor inquiries during Research Library hours of operation.
- Library materials are not available for checkout, but a photocopier is available. Materials must be pre-approved for copying by staff. See Copy Charges below.
- Bags must be stored upon entry into the Research Library.
- Appointments are strongly preferred. Researchers with scheduled appointments will be given first priority. See form below to make an appointment.
- The Research Library can only accommodate a limited number of researchers at a time. If you are a walk-in, please be aware that we may not be able to accommodate you.
Computer printouts and a photocopier are available to researchers. Copies cost ten cents per page.
Research requests submitted via email and telephone are subject to the following fees:
- The first 30 minutes of research are free, and we charge $15 for every half hour thereafter.
- Copies made by Research Library staff cost fifty cents.
- Mail or fax delivery charges:
- 1-10 pages – $1
- 11-20 pages – $2
- 21-40 pages – $3
- over 40 pages – $5. (Inquire for international rates.)
Payment is required in advance. Credit cards are preferred. Charges will be conveyed to patron prior to copying and mailing.
Remember, please be as specific as possible when making a request. Specify the time period, give names and places, if known, and what the scope of your request includes. Don’t forget to give your name, physical address, and telephone number. Research requests made via telephone or e-mail will be processed within 7 – 10 business days on a first come, first serve basis.